<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 11, 2006

An update. 

I'm not really feeling driven to write right now; I'm actually at work with quite a bit to do, but after last week's desolation I felt I should at least do a quick weekend recap.

Things are feeling more hopeful, a weekend of rest will do that I guess. Also, John's mom didn't end up coming to stay with us, which was very helpful. So I guess I hadn't really written the backstory, which is that she was diagnosed with very early-stage cervical cancer about a month back. Since she's an older woman with an at-risk lifestyle, the doctors decided to just do a radical hysterectomy and be done with it. Being a stubborn woman who's often prone to denial, she figured she'd just go home afterwards and "take it easy" for a while. As anyone who's ever had a major surgery in which a large portion of your internal anatomy is removed could attest, it's not quite that easy. So the answer was that she was going to come and stay with us. The problem is that we have a pretty small house and her living quarters were either going to be on our couch or bunking in Suzie's room--neither of which were exciting prospects for any of us.

As stressed and tired and depressed and overworked as I was feeling last week, the thought of caretaking this woman (who is a handful in the best of times) was just about putting me over the edge. John ended up spending Saturday extricating her from the hospital though and by the time they'd made it back down to our neck of the woods had found a much more suitable caretaking arrangement for her. This afforded me a massive sigh of relief.

Plus, it was Suzie's monthly weekend with her grandparents so after a tear-filled Saturday morning I had essentially a full day and half to shop, eat a nice lunch, read, clean the house, and generally start to feel human and appreciated and like I could breathe again. It took me a good 4 hours to kick the depression; I kind of wasted my shopping time at the farmer's market still feeling down, but a good lunch and trips to a few childrens' consignment stores soon lifted my mood. It felt soooo good to not be so mired in desolation for a change.

So that's where things stand now. I'm at work. I'm feeling ok. I got a good kundalini yoga workout on yesterday and feel much less stiff and sore, my house is (rather) decorated for the holidays, my daughter's beautiful and I feel able to appreciate her toddlerish enthusiasm again. I'm just going to try and hang on to the happiness for as long as possible.

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Post a Comment
  • [Top]