<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, February 10, 2006

Suzie didn't nap yesterday so I didn't get a change to blog. She did sleep in pretty late but I was busy doing all the morning stuff around here and it just didn't happen. I did have an amazing workout though; I haven't been that in the zone probably since I was five months pregnant and that felt incredible. No workout today though, and it's lucky I was lazy as when I tried to go grab a shower I found we were out of water. Again. I do like living out in the sticks, but I really fucking hate not having water at least once a week. It wasn't so bad before, we'd lose it maybe once a month or so--including the night I went into labor which wasn't the coolest thing in the world, luckily I hadn't been planning an at-home water birth--but some morons up the road dug into their front yard without checking and now the process of repairing the pipe has cost our entire neighborhood water once a week or so. Usually we get a day's notice but evidently not today.

Anyway, so how's that for the world's weakest opening paragraph? I do my best.

I really wanted a shower today too. At least I took one yesterday. :(

Today Suzie and I are headed out to Shelton for a playgroup on a farm. Suzie's never seen so many animals live and in person so it should be really fun. I think they're also going to have one of those blow-up, bouncy houses. I hope she enjoys it, she may still be too young.

I've been thinking of going veg again. I did for so long, primarily for ethical reasons, well, soley for ethical reasons really, considering what terrible shape I was in, and then I just let myself get lazy and apathetic and grew away from it. I've been thinking a lot about it again though and think maybe it's time. I went to dinner with some friends (Courtney being one of them--Thanks Andrew, that name is MUCH more fitting) and we were discussing humanely raised animals and the conversation got so weird.

Courtney was saying that she actually thinks it's worse for an animal to be raised humanely and then killed then to just be tortured from birth. What the fuck is she thinking?!? Better for who? Her obviously, as her next statement was something along the lines of "I just can't think of where they came from and feel too guilty if I think of them frolicking out in a pasture and having a happy life and then being killed." But she doesn't feel guilty to think of all the horrible things that happen in a slaughterhouse? Or rather she just doesn't I guess. That's the problem, again, with so many people in our society being cut off from their emotions and empathy. Maybe if more people DID stop and think about those things then we wouldn't have this disgusting, mass-market, animal-production factory garbage that we do.

People are just so attached to their, what's the word, to their denial. Like to the point of saying "the truth is too painful for me, I'd rather just stay in denial and go on living in a way that's more comfortable for me than have to face the truth." I'm not even against eating animals, I'm really quite in favor of people killing their own food, humanely, and with a healthy dose of respect for how that food got to their tables. And since I'm not at the point of being able to do that, then I think it's for the best that I just stop eating meat again.

I think I would like to get a few chickens though, for the eggs, and possibly a goat. I'm outside the city limits but I'm not sure of the ordinances. I'll have to look into that. It's not like I'm too busy these days to take care of a few animals. We do have a big raccoon problem around here though, would they eat all the chickens?

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Post a Comment
  • [Top]