<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 27, 2006

Another quickie post. 

Suzie's been down for an hour and I've used the time to eat lunch, take a shower, talk to my sister, and make a big pan of veggie and soy-sausage lasagna. She could wake up at any moment but I've gotten so much done and the house is so clean that I'm really looking forward to it. Sometimes I miss her so much when she's napping.

So, my husband is going to absolutely hate this idea, and personally I'm struggling with it quite a little bit as well, but I've been thinking of going vegan for a while. I don't feel like I want to be all hardcore about it and announce it to the world and look down on people that aren't, but I think I just want to kind of quietly babystep myself into it and feel it out for a bit. I'm not going to stop wearing the leather shoes and coats that I already own, and I'm not going to not eat the meat and dairy products that are already in my house as that seems kind of counter productive. Like "hi cow, I know you died/suffered for me to eat/wear you but now I don't want to so I guess your death/inhumane treatment was totally in vain." You know? But I'm not planning on buying much more of it.

My man is a serious meat eater though. I mean, he's not a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy, but he's definitely a beef stir fry, lamb gyro type. He loves a lot of vegetarian stuff--actually I think he prefers vegan food to vegetarian food as he's not really all that into dairy so I know he'll back me up on most of my choices, probably as long as I cook a steak for him once a week or so. I eat a ton of dairy products and though and do it mostly in denial about what kind of treatment dairy cows are subjected to. It truly is as bad/worse than the beef cattle I think, I mean, at least the beef cows get to die, they don't have to live day after day hooked up to machines, not nursing their many babies and hardly ever stepping outside, right? Who was it that said "there are many fates much worse than death." ? Gandalf? Dumbledore? I think it was Dumbledore.

So yeah, that's my plan. Phase out the dairy that's already in my house, look into buying more organic products--including clothing and baby gear--and just try to curtain the shopping addiction, buying less, using things longer--generally just trying to, what's the expression--lessen the footprint. I think that's it. Lessen my negative impact on the earth, at least in some small way.

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Post a Comment
  • [Top]